Wednesday, February 3, 2010

When We Two Parted


When we two parted

  In silence and tears,

  Half broken-hearted


  To sever for years,

  Pale grew thy cheek and cold,

  Colder thy kiss;

  Truly that hour foretold

  Sorrow to this!

  The dew of the morning

  Sunk chill on my brow-

  It felt like the warning

  Of what I feel now.

  Thy vows are all broken,

  And light is thy fame:

  I hear thy name spoken,

  And share in its shame.

  They name thee before me,

  A knell to mine ear;

  A shudder comes o'er me-

  Why wert thou so dear?

  They know not I knew thee

  Who knew thee too well:

  long, long shall I rue thee,

  Too deeply to tell.

  In secret we met-

  In silence I grieve,

  That thy heart could forget,

  Thy spirit deceive.

  If I should meet thee

  After ling year,

  How should I greet thee?

  With silence and tears.